Monday, May 31, 2010

Decoration-Memorial Day Indian Territory Freedmen & Descendants

Decoration Day began to commemorate Union soldiers from the Civil War and expanded later to include veterans from World War I. The commemoration continues today with the practice of decorating soldiers gravesites.

As a way to incorporate the practice of honoring America's soldiers and commemorate the participation of Indian Territory Freedmen and their descendants we proudly present some military heroes from Indian Territory/Oklahoma.




Civil War Veterans
(Original Dawes Enrollees)
Thomas BLACKWATER


Mobile BOYD



World War I Veterans
(Original Dawes Enrollees)

Byington CHERRY



Dixie HARKINS (World War I)

Nathaniel LIGON (World War I)


Joe LOUIS (World War I)



Turner SHANNON (World War I)



Golden TUCKER (World War I)


Women of World War II


Bertha L. FRANKLIN (World War II)


Ivory HARRIS (World War II)


World War II
Choctaw Freedmen Descendants

Luther LIGON (World War II)


Thurston "Jack" LIGON (World War II)



Elmore ROBERTS


Nathion ROBERTS

Excell CHRISTON


I.V. CHRISTON


Nicholas William PERRYMAN


Korean War Veterans
Joseph David LIGON (Korean War)

Albert J. STEVENSON



No comments:

Post a Comment