Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday Special...Lena Horne

Okay I have to admit, I had a thing for Lena way back when I was a youngster, there it's public now!
When I discovered later we shared birth dates, I knew our relationship was special. I never got over she was married but that didn't stop me from appreciating her talent and love for political causes that helped uplift people. I always thought Lena would live forever! She lived a full life and did it well!

"One Love, One Heart"



http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0395043/bio

Lena Horne was born in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn. Reported to be a descendant of the John C. Calhoun family, both sides of her family are a mixture of European, African, and Native American descent.

Each were part of what W. E. B. Du Bois called "The Talented Tenth," the upper stratum of middle-class, well-educated African Americans. She grew up in an upper-middle-class black community. She was raised in the Hill District community of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Her father, Edwin "Teddy" Horne, a numbers kingpin in the gambling trade, left the family when she was three. Her mother, Edna Scottron, daughter of inventor Samuel R. Scottron, was an actress with an African-American theater troupe and traveled extensively.

For more use the links provided below:


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lena-Horne/104310262937912?ref=ts

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/arts/2010/05/10/2010-05-10_lena_hornes_death_at_age_92_casts_a_shadow_over_broadway_where_she_shone_for_so_.html

No comments:

Post a Comment