Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday: The Joys of Documenting a Cemetery...

Last week I spoke about my interest in documenting and photographing a cemetery in my area; clealy this project is a challenge but it also brings with it some measure of joy.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=188400

It has been enlightening going from row to row of headstones and documenting the names and dates of the people interred at Union Cemetery in Brentwood, California. One of the surprising discoveries was I've found at least two headstones of people with my surname! I don't expect they will be members of my genealogy but it is a rush when as a genealogist you see your name in whatever capacity.




Another pleasant surprise it the length people will go to decorate the gravesite of their relative (and I mean that in a good way.) In a sense I'm discovering some of art to honoring and preserving a deceased relative, especially young children.







These images are a very small sample of what I've photographed to this point and there are about one thousand gravesites remaining that would come close to documenting the entire cemetery. Clearly there are more stories to tell by words and pictures.

It is my hope that other people become involved in photo-documenting cemeteries; ESPECIALLY those that exist containing the remains of Indian Territory Freedmen.


No comments:

Post a Comment