Monday, March 14, 2011

Japan and Lesson's To Be Learned...

As I view the damage and loss of life in Japan, the destruction of property and the loss of family I'm reminded of the importance to seriously preserve the information and photo's of my own family's history.

If something tragically should happen to me or my home, how do I protect the research and documents I've amassed over the past twenty plus years?

How do I protect the photographs that have been with us for more than one hundred years?

The tragedy in Japan is another reminder we all have a responsibility to plan for any possible incident that could destroy the history and artifacts that can be preserved for future generations.

Recently I was watching a television program on the History Channel on the Library of Congress and what they were doing to preserve America's history. They were planning for any eventuality that could destroy the invaluable collection that will tell future generations about the history of this country. An example they used was to illustrate how our culture could be lost based on the methods of how our history is preserve and the material it is store on. They compared and contrasted contemporary materials to ancient materials and concluded; future generations would know more about ancient civilizations than present civilization because the ancients carved their history in stone.

Clearly the methods we have, digital, paper and audio preservation could be at risk if there was a fire, earthquake or flood; we need strategies and we need them now!

I would like to hear any ideas others have on the preservation of family history.

No comments:

Post a Comment